BRIEF HISTORY OF OGBOMOSO FIRST COMMUNITY INITIATIVE
(AKA ‘O’ 1ST GROUP)
Ogbomoso First Community Initiative was formed as a socio – cultural, apolitical organization in 2008 by like-minded and progressive indigenes of Ogbomoso who are interested and dedicated to the growth and development of Ogbomoso and Oyo State in general. The organization was registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission as a corporate body on 11th November 2010.
That the interest of Ogbomoso land supercedes and irrevocably comes first before other personal interests .
In the larger interest of Ogbomoso Land.
Ogbomoso, a city founded in the mid-17th century is the second largest city in Oyo State, South West Nigeria and it’s one of Nigeria’s largest urban centres. It ranked no. 8 on the population index of Nigeria with an estimate of about 1,200,000 people as at January 2016. It is an agrarian society with many Cashew plantations and was once the largest planter of cassava across the globe. Ogbomoso has established in it the Nigerian Baptist Theological Seminary, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, LAUTECH Teaching Hospital and BOWEN University Teaching Hospital.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
The aims and objectives of ‘O’ 1ST GROUP are as listed below:-
- A socio-cultural organization comprising people of integrity committed to the development of Ogbomoso land.
- Highly interested in the well-being of Ogbomosoland and Oyo State in general.
- Committed to promotion of unity amongst the people irrespective of race and religion.
- To articulate and set a new development agenda and to provide for a healthy competition within the community.
- To serve as Role Models to the upcoming generation of Ogbomoso youths through positive constructive engagements and other mentoring activities.
Since inception, ‘O’ 1st Group has been involved in various programs and activities, some of which are but not limited to those listed below:-
- Seminar on ‘Resetting the agenda for the focused sustainable development of Ogbomoso Land’.
- Recognition of outstanding and well deserving indigenes of Ogbomoso land who had contributed immensely to the development of the town in various fields such as Education, Commerce & Industry, Health Care Delivery, Mentoring, Employment Generation and Community service.
- Empowerment of the less privileged indigent people through donation of sewing machines.
- Educational support through donation of branded exercise books to some Secondary Schools and indigent students.
- Participation in vigorous campaign and sensitization of the people in partnership with Nigerian Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) against drug abuse during the 2018 United Nations International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking. This was done through sensitization via radio, television, donation of branded exercise books to secondary schools, flyers, lecture, road march and setting up of drug free clubs in higher institutions and some secondary schools. The fight against drug abuse is to be sustained until it is defeated in our society.
Ogbomoso First Community Initiative has received various awards in recognition of its laudable programs and contributions to the growth and social – economic development of Ogbomosoland and its people